It’s hard to even reflect in part, the full extent of all MANNA has done and been involved with in Mozambique and Angola. Its 96 newsletters dating back to the 1950’s tell incredible stories joys and sorrows; lives changed; churches, schools and clinics built; partnerships made; items given; communities transformed and God’s Kingdom exalted.
The now thriving Anglican Churches of Mozambique and Angola have early beginnings dating back to 1906. The Charity was constituted by an original Deed of Trust in 1923 as the Lebombo Association though the organisation had previously existed without charitable status since at least 1906. With the creation of the new Diocese of Niassa the Association changed its name to The Lebombo and Niassa Association and with the recognition of the Anglican Church in Angola the name was changed to the current version.
The Diocese of Lebombo started in southern Mozambique in the late 19th century. Men had gone to the goldfields of Johannesburg for work, had become Anglican Christians and wanted the church to continue to minister to them when they returned to their homes particularly in southern Mozambique.
The origin of the Anglican Church in Angola began with a layman – Archibald Patterson who went out in the 1920’s to evangelise the remote northern Angola. Eventually the work in Angola was placed under the Episcopal oversight of the Bishop of Lebombo in 1990, and was then created a separate diocese in 2002.
Today, the two countries currently comprises of 12 dioceses within the Province of IAMA (Igreja Anglican de Mocambique e Angola). This new province was inaugurated in September 2021.